Absentee Voting FAQs

  • Published
  • By 944th Airman & Family Readiness
  • 944th Fighter Wing

Check out How to Vote Absentee when you’re a Citizen Abroad:

Americans can vote in U.S. elections - from wherever they are.
FVAP can answer some of your frequently asked questions about the

What is my U.S. voting address?
Your U.S. voting residence address is used to determine where you are
eligible to vote. For overseas citizens, it is usually the last place you
lived in the U.S. before moving overseas. You do not need to have any
current ties with this address.

How can I send my Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)?
U.S. citizens voting from overseas may have the option to submit their
voting materials by mail, fax, or email. Check your state's specific voting
guidelines by selecting your state. https://www.fvap.gov/citizen-voter

Should I plan to vote at the embassy or consulate?
No. Elections are run at the state and local level. You must
communicate directly with your state to register, request a ballot, and
vote. Most embassies and consulates will help you to fill out the FPCA and
FWAB, but they are not polling places.

When will I get my ballot?
Election offices are required to send absentee ballots at least 45 days
before a federal election. If you requested your ballot by email, then the
ballot should arrive right away. Mailed ballots will take longer to arrive
depending on the postal system in the country where you are located.

See even more voting FAQs and answers:
Training Tutorial: https://www.fvap.gov/overseashowto

Contact Us: https://www.fvap.gov/info/contact
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DoDFVAP
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fvapgov/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/FVAP
Sign up for email update via the following link: http://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USFVAP/subscriber/new govdelivery.com/accounts/USFVAP/subscriber/new>