Chief Master Sergeant Catherine Erin Buchanan is the Command Chief, 944th
Fighter Wing, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz. She serves as primary advisor to the
commander on all matters pertaining to readiness, professional development, health,
welfare, training and proper utilization of more than 2,200 Airmen. She ensures the
enlisted Airmen understand the Wing mission and their role in executing that mission.
Chief Buchanan enlisted in the United States Air Force in June 1990. She graduated from the Aircrew Life Support course at Chanute Air Force Base, Ill in October 1990.
Her background experience includes various duties within Aircrew Flight Equipment,
Fighter Squadron Superintendent, Wing Staff Agency Superintendent and
Operations Group Superintendent. Chief Buchanan served overseas in support of
operations Northern Watch and Iraqi Freedom. Prior to her current position, she was
the 924th Fighter Group Superintendent, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
2003 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, by correspondence
2004 AFRC Noncommissioned Officer and Leadership Development Course, Luke AFB, Ariz.
2004 Associate of Applied Science degree in Aircrew Life Support, Community College of the Air Force
2008 Personnel Apprentice Course, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2010 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, by correspondence
2014 AFRC Chief Master Sergeant Orientation Course, Robins AFB, Ga.
2018 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Course, by correspondence
2019 Chief Master Sergeant Leadership Course, Maxwell AFB, Gunter Annex, Ala.
1. November 1990 – February 1992, Life Support Specialist, 613th Fighter Squadron, Torrejon Air Base, Spain
2. February 1992 – February 1993, Life Support Specialist, 438th Operations Support Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
3. February 1993 – March 2007, NCOIC, Life Support, 302d Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. March 2007 – March 2009, Personnel Apprentice, 944th Mission Support Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
5. March 2009 – August 2014, Superintendent, Aircrew Flight Equipment, 44th Fighter Group, Holloman AFB, N.M.
6. August 2014 – October 2017, Superintendent, 44th Fighter Group, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
7. October 2017 – March 2020, Superintendent, 924th Fighter Group, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
8. March 2020 – present, Command Chief, 944th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB Ariz.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Iraqi Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with the “M” device and hour glass
2002 Aircrew Life Support Non-Commissioned Officer of the Year, 10th Air Force
2007 Non-Commissioned Officer of the Year, 944th Fighter Wing
2012 Lance P. Sijan, 301st Fighter Wing
2013 Civilian of the Year, 301st Fighter Wing
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman First Class November 1991
Senior Airman May 1993
Staff Sergeant September 1994
Technical Sergeant July 2000
Master Sergeant April 2009
Senior Master Sergeant April 2011
Chief Master Sergeant November 2014
(Current as of April 2020)