Colonel Van Brunt is the Commander, 944th Fighter Wing, Luke Air Force Base Arizona. As commander, he is responsible for all aspects of of Air Force Reserve Command’s largest Fighter Wing. The 944th Fighter Wing is tasked to support worldwide mobility and combat employment operations and also with supporting the Air Education and Training Command, and Air Combat Command mission to train F-16, F-35, F-15E, and A-10 pilots for the United States Air Force, Air Force Reserve, Air National Guard, and other participating nations.
Colonel Van Brunt graduated from Queens College in 1998 and earned his commission through Air Force ROTC at the University of North Carolina, Charlotte. He is a graduate of the US Air Force Weapons Instructor Course and is a command pilot with more than 3,300 hours. Prior to his current position, the colonel was Commander, 482nd Operations Group, Homestead ARB, Florida.
Colonel Van Brunt served 10 years in the active duty Air Force before joining the Air Force Reserve in 2008. He has commanded at the squadron and group level. He has flown combat missions in support of operations Northern Watch, Southern Watch, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, Freedom’s Sentinel, and Inherent Resolve.
1998 Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Spanish Minor, Queens College, N.C.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Master of International Business, Touro University, Cypress, Calif.
2010 Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2013 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2018 Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
2021 Reserve Component National Security Course, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. 1998- 1999, Casual Lieutenant, 78th Fighter Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
2. 1999- 2000, Student Pilot, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. 2000-2001, Student Pilot, F-16 Replacement Training Unit, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. 2001-2003, Electronic Combat Pilot, 23rd Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany
5. 2003-2004, Wing Electronic Combat Pilot, 52nd Operations Support Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
6. 2004-2005, Wing Scheduling, 51st Operations Support Squadron, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
7. 2005-2006, Flight Commander, Instructor Pilot, 36th Fighter Squadron, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
8. 2006-2008, Instructor Pilot, 85th Test and Evaluation Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
9. 2008-2009, Chief of Scheduling, 93rd Fighter Squadron, Homestead ARB, Fla.
10. 2009-2010, Assistant Chief of Weapons, 93rd Fighter Squadron, Homestead ARB Fla.
11. 2010-2014, Weapons Officer, 93rd FS, Homestead ARB, Fla.
12. 2014-2015, Director of Operations, 482nd Operations Support Squadron, Homestead ARB, Fla.
13. 2015-2017, Commander, 93rd Fighter Squadron, Homestead ARB, Fla.
14. 2017-2018, Student, Dwight D. Eisenhower School, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
15. 2018-2019, Division Chief, Headquarters Air Force Requirements Combat Air Forces, Pentagon
16. 2019-2021, Commander, 482nd Operations Group, Homestead ARB, Fla.
17. 2021-Present, Commander, 944th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, Ariz.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,300, including 662 combat hours
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, F-16 and F-35
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Flying Cross with valor device
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with seven oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with two bronze stars
Iraqi Campaign Medal with two bronze stars
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 4, 1998
First Lieutenant July 4, 2000
Captain July 4, 2002
Major April 9, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel August 15, 2013
Colonel August 18, 2018
(Current as of May 2021)