Colonel Brian R. Cusson is the Commander, 924th Fighter Group, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Arizona. The 924th Fighter Group has 28 A-10C aircraft assigned and is a Total Force Enterprise Active and Classic Associate with the 355th Fighter Wing conducting A-10C Thunderbolt II qualification training and maintenance operations.
Col Cusson is a 1997 graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy recognized with military distinction. He attended Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training at Sheppard AFB, Texas, and A-10 initial qualification training at Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona, where he was the distinguished graduate. Col Cusson’s operational assignments include duty as flight commander, instructor pilot, weapons officer, weapons school instructor, operational test pilot, chief of standardization & evaluations, director of operations, and fighter squadron commander.
Col Cusson is a Command Pilot with over 3,500 total hours, including more than 3,200 hours in the A-10A/C. He has flown over 370 combat hours in Operations SOUTHERN WATCH, ENDURING FREEDOM, and IRAQI FREEDOM.
1997 Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2003 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 US Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2008 Master of Business Administration, TUI University, Cypress, Calif.
2015 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Washington D.C.
2016 Air War College, by correspondence
1. January 1998 - February 1999, student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. March 1999 - June 1999, student, IFF, 49th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. July 1999 - October 1999, A-10 qualification training, 357th Fighter Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
4. November 1999 - September 2002, A-10 instructor, Chief of Stan Eval, 355th Fighter Squadron, Eielson AFB, Alaska
5. October 2002 - December 2003, A-10 instructor, Flight Commander, 25th Fighter Squadron, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
6. January 2004 - June 2004, student, US Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. July 2004 - August 2006, weapons & tactics officer, 74th Fighter Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
8. September 2006 - May 2009, Director of Operations, 66th Weapons Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. June 2009 - January 2012, Director of Operations, 355th Training Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
10. February 2012 - December 2013, Chief of Stan Eval, 924th Fighter Group, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
11. December 2013 - March 2016, Deputy Commander, 924th Fighter Group, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
12. April 2016 - October 2017, Commander, 47th Fighter Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
13. October 2017 - April 2018, Deputy Commander, 924th Fighter Group, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
13. April 2018 - Present, Commander, 924th Fighter Group, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: 3,500
Aircraft flown: A/OA-10A, A-10C, T-37, AT-38B, T-38C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Service Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with three bronze stars
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with device
NATO Medal with bronze star
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major December 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel September 1, 2013
Colonlel April 1, 2018
(Current as of Apr 2018)